During a real estate closing, your agent, settlement company, and lender will take care of just about everything behind the scenes. There are a few items that will require your attention, and only you can do:
- Let your agent know right away if unable to attend closing. If using a power of attorney, the lender and settlement agent will need to review it, and the original copy must be provided at closing.
- Choose an insurance company for homeowner’s insurance (and flood if needed) and decide on the type and terms of the policy. Provide the company name, a contact, and phone number to your Realtor.
- A physical survey of the property will be ordered on your behalf unless instructed otherwise. This allows problems like encroachments and easements to be discovered. If you do not wish to have a survey completed, notify your settlement company right away.
- Bring certified funds (cashier’s check, wire, or money order) to closing. An accurate closing funds number will be provided as early as possible.
- Bring photo ID to closing!
Hampton Roads Real-e-statement is written by Alyssa Godwin, a Realtor with Liz Moore and Associates. For questions regarding buying or selling contact Alyssa at 757-329-6161 or email@example.com. You can also find Alyssa on Facebook or on the web at www.lizmoore.com/alyssagodwin.