A few fun facts for this year’s 4th of July…
- Every year the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia is tapped (not actually rung) thirteen times in honor of the original thirteen colonies.
- Iowa has more places with ‘liberty’ in its name than any other state.
- The average age of the Signers of the Declaration of Independence was 45.
- Many of our Independence Day necessities come from China: 87.5% ($2.8 million) of imported U.S. flags are from China…and 97% ($190.7 million) of fireworks.
- A salute of one gun for each state in the United States, called a “salute to the union,” is fired on Independence Day at noon by any capable military base.
- The first Independence Day celebration took place in Philadelphia on July 8, 1776.
For local activities ideas, check out July 4th Fireworks 2014 in Hampton Roads. Happy 4th!
Hampton Roads Real-e-statement is written by Alyssa Godwin, a Realtor with Liz Moore and Associates. For questions regarding buying or selling contact Alyssa at 757-329-6161 or email@example.com. You can also find Alyssa on Facebook or on the web at www.lizmoore.com/alyssagodwin.